Sunset at Eilean Donan Castle

Sunset at Eilean Donan Castle

As regular readers will know, last week I took a week out for a little holiday which involved driving around Scotland. I spent 12 years growing up in the North of Scotland, and though I had been to a few places of interest I had never taken the time to do a decent tour of the beautiful place. A week isn’t time either, but I gave it a good go and hired a car for the week, threw a tent in the back and headed out there. A big thanks must go to Steve for driving the whole way, and as we did 1400 miles in 6 days it certainly allowed us to see a lot of the country. As a non-photographer a big thanks also to stopping whenever I really wanted to do so along the route, and hanging around for longer than most friends would as I stood patiently snapping away – though saying that, armed with 3 cameras he certainly looked more of a photographer than I did at times.

The above shot is of Eilean Donan Castle and was taken at Sunset a week ago today. We had set up camp nearby and headed here as the last photo session of the day. A few other people had come to photograph the same scene this night though we were the only ones to venture down on to the rocks which I feel was the better location to get a decent foreground, and there was a nice sunset but not enough cloud cover for my liking – two awesome looking clouds were there at one point but never blew into the frame which was unfortunate.

I encourage you to check out the Eilean Donan Castle website to find out further details about this picturesque location, though perhaps you may remember it as the castle featured in the Highlander film.

This entry was posted in Architecture, Landscape and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Sunset at Eilean Donan Castle

1. Sunset at Eilean Donan Castleamazing colors. Love the composition too. Well done!

2. Sunset at Eilean Donan Castlelooks better large.. nice work mate.

3. Stevie says:

Glad it turned out so well, nice colours. Still to work through mine.

4. Sunset at Eilean Donan CastleThis is the kind of sunset I really appreciate with so warm colours in the background ! Amazing shot.

5. Sunset at Eilean Donan CastleSmooth work!

Seen in my contacts’ photos. (?)

6. Rick says:

Those colors are intense! It’s swampy, mushy and gorgeous at the same time! The glow of the sunset and the castle are superb.

7. Tah says:

Great picture. Well in my top five of favorite images from you.

8. Jason Hines says:

Now that is definitely something we don’t have in America. I really like this shot, especially the foreground, I think it adds a lot to the image.

9. A.Barlow says:

Cool shot man. I like that foreground. It gives me the impression you were sloshing around in the muck. :)

10. Wow, this is awesome…really love the light on the castle too. Amazing.

11. Sunset at Eilean Donan CastleAmazing shot and looks ten times better in the lightbox! Great stuff!

12. Scott Wood says:

I really love the contrasts between the foreground and the setting sun.

13. Sunset at Eilean Donan Castlesuperb shot!! awesome light

14. Good LORD, this is just incredible. Love the colors and tones here, they help to create an overall sense of drama that is exquisite!

15. Jim Nix says:

freakin’ awesome Mike, love it!!

16. Jan Winther says:

Outstanding shot. Absolutely spectacular.

17. John says:

Amazing shot! Lovely foreground elements to lead you into a stunning sunset. Perfectly composed and awesome job processing the final image!

I do agree with you that more cloud cover would have just made this shot spectacular, but mother nature is a finicky little thing is she?

18. Pingback: 29 Very Cool Photography Articles, Photos and Blogs from This Week | TheWorld365 | Nuno & Debora Photography

19. Sunset at Eilean Donan CastleA really beautiful image. I’d love to take a castle tour through the UK someday.

20. Pingback: Friday Photo Spots Weekly Roundup & Tempe Town Lake — Jason Hines